Makes 6 small cups
Srikaya is sweets that I usually order as dessert in a Padang restaurant. I love it very much, the eggy custardish texture with the sweet spice scent that melts in your mouth..hhmm yummy.
My mother friend use to give these Srikayas’ served in small cups to us on special occasions. As she is a native Palembang, the Srikaya is green in color because they use screwpine leaves and suji leaves. In the Palembang culture, Srikaya will be served on big occasion such as feast and Eid ul Fitr. The brides family will bring this delicacy to the grooms family as a gift on wedding days.
Different from my mother in law, the Srikaya from Padang is brown in color because she uses brown sugar andspekulaas spices to give taste to this fine dessert. From my husbands family, this is a must to have as break fast sweets during Ramadhan month.
I have to admit that I love any types of custard and Srikaya is a popular Indonesian custard dessert. Another favorite of mine is Hongkong egg tart. So I’m combining 2 of my favorite recipe to make this fusion Srikaya. I uses a lot of eggs, but I am mad about it.
A: Banana custard
100 ml coconut milk
3 ripe bananas
3 tbs sugar
1 screwpine leaves (optional)
B: Egg custard
100 ml water
80 gr sugar
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
How to prepare:
– in a non-sticky pan pour in all the ingredient A, dice the banana into very little bits
– cook A over medium heat until it loses water and becomes lumpy but not dry
– put off the heat and set aside
– for ingredient B. boil water and sugar until it is dissolved and set aside
– blend in a bowl the eggs, condensed milk and the sugar syrup
– divide A evenly in a bowl as foundation
– pour B on top of A evenly
– steam for 20 minutes
The custard can be eaten warm or cold