This months cooking class was all about Middle Eastern Food. We made roast chicken, yellow rice and cucumber salad. Great! just what I was craving for. The day before I was thinking about roast chicken and yellow rice that I ate at Kanoko restaurant. This restaurant chain owned by a Japanese pair have their spices organically grown in Srilanka and bought with fair trade. Their signature dish is vegetable Japanese curry with roast chicken and yellow rice. They also sell the spices in bottles for customers interested to have some more of their food at home.
Unlike plain rice cooked by South East Asian people that requires steaming. The Middle Eastern and South Asia just do it the risotto way with a lot of spices added. The chicken will be marinated by hand and they roasted in over or on fire if you want. I will be posting the cucumber salad on my next post
- 2 Cups of Basmati Rice
- 1/4 Cup of Butter, Melted
- 1 Heaping Tablespoon of Raw Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cardamom Pods
- 1 Level Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1/2 Cup of Golden Raisins
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups of Water
How to prepare:
- Bring the water and salt to a boil on the stove
- Add in the butter, rice and turmeric and bring the water back up to a boil
- Add in the rest of the seasonings and raisins, stir well and cover
- Reduce heat and allow the rice to simmer for 10 minutes or until nearly all the water has been absorbed
- Remove from heat and let stand covered for an additional 5 minutes
- Fluff with a fork before serving
- 1 (6 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large lemon , halved
How to prepare:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Rinse chicken; pat dry.
- Place chicken on rack in large roasting pan.
- Stir oil and next 7 ingredients in small bowl to form paste.
- Rub spice paste all over chicken.
- Roast chicken 1 hour.
- Squeeze juice from lemon halves over chicken, place lemon halves inside main cavity.
- Continue to roast until chicken is cooked through and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175, about 1 hour longer.
- Transfer to platter, let stand 15 minutes.